Unless you’ve been floating around in a cozy little bubble somewhere south of reality, your life is most likely completely fucking crazy…
… Dealing with difficult people, unwanted dramas unfolding, conflicts to resolve, shortcomings to make up for, challenges to overcome, problems to solve, and more shit to do than you have time to do it in.
Not to mention the fact that the entire world itself seems to be out of its planetary mind.
Let’s face it: life can be fucking hard—full of chaos, struggle, and uncertainty.
Here’s some things to keep you mentally cool, no matter how insane your life or the world around you may be…
1. Remember that right now is literally all there is—there is nothing else – You can only visit yesterday or tomorrow in your mind. Outside of that, they do not exist. Focusing your attention on what you’re doing right now is an immediate kibosh to 95% of all stress.
2. Accept the fact that you don’t control shit – Trying to control things is like injecting yourself with a needle full of pharmaceutical-grade anxiety. Do your absolute fucking best at what you do, but don’t get all caught up in the results.
3. Don’t take your thoughts too seriously – they’re just stories in your head meant to distract you from who you really are and keep you attached to a fictional character you believe to be you—a character, that just like the past and present, exists only in the mind.
Kill the character. Even if he’s a fucking rock star super-hero with the squared jaw of Ben Affleck, adored by millions and on an altruistic mission to save the universe when he’s not busy feeding the homeless and rescuing kittens stuck in trees. Kill him dead and let your real-self emerge.
4. Embrace your struggles – Your struggles are the kiln through which you’re forged into something greater. The hardest steel is forged in the hottest fire. If you never struggled you would be weak, naive, boring, and without a worthwhile purpose.
5. Find activities that you find therapeutic—Ideally on the level of mind, body, and spirit.
While I urge you to find what works for you… I’ll share with you what works for me…
Writing – Writing is how I process things. It helps me see things I may not have been aware of, reaffirms the things that are important to me, and allows me to extract the toxins from heart and mind.
Plus, if it’s something I post publicly like on my blog, hopefully it helps a few people along the way—which in turn helps me as well.
Exercise – When my body goes too long without breaking a sweat, I seem to attract some dark cloud of emotional funk that I flat out do not want in my life. Even just a quick 20 minutes or 30 minutes can make the entire day much brighter.
Meditation – Focusing on my breathing allows me to step back from the constant parade of incessant thoughts and helps me to keep a safe distance from their game of high-pressure coercion and remain unattached from whatever the fuck it is that they’re trying to sell me. Most of it’s junk anyways.
Daily Surrender – Every day I hand my life over to WHATEVER the heck it is that created me. First thing in the morning I say a little prayer that basically goes “I hand my will and life over to you.” I also do it throughout the day whenever I catch myself trying to control things.
This simple practice of daily surrender seems to not only free me of the majority of my need to control things, but also helps keep me on the right path. Plus it brings about a bunch of serendipitous occurrences which help to point the way forward, strengthens my intuition, and things just turn out better for me when I do it…but only 100% of the time. I can’t express how much of a sense of freedom this practice has brought me.
And on top of that, I tried everything I could to kick my addictions. Surrender is the only thing that ever worked for me.
I don’t know what types of activities you find therapeutic. Whatever they are, do them. Don’t get so absorbed in trying to get shit done and caught up in the drama of life that you forget to take care of yourself.
If it were not for the strategies and practices in this post, I most likely would be completely fucking mad. How do I know this? Because before I started doing these things, I was. I still am actually, but now it’s like…in a good way.
And if your really wanna stay cool no matter how crazy your life is or gets, subscribe here and I’ll be sure to send you the new posts as I write ‘em… they’ll help a ton (=
And if you enjoyed this post, I’d be stone cold honored if you would push some of those social media sharing buttons up top and share it with your friends…
… like the Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, and Google Plus buttons